Friday, March 4, 2011

Yummy Recipe with a "New" Ingredient


So...have you ever tried Jicama?? I've heard of it but never gave it much thought. I became friends with a person from high school last week on Facebook and she has a website/blog that she documents what she and her family eat for dinner. One of her "recipes" (she doesn't usually post the actual recipe, just what she put in the dish) looked yummy and I thought I'd give it a whirl. If you don't know, I STRUGGLE in the kitchen so this was out of the box for me. Anyway, I made it and it was DELISH!!! Here is the "recipe":

Chicken and Jicama Wraps with Spinach and Avacado
*The key is the jicama slaw. It's best when you let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours or even overnight*

SLAW:

1/2 to 3/4 of one large Jicama cut in small cubes. up to 2 colored peppers cut in small cubes.
a couple of tablespoons of minced fresh ginger (don't use the dried kind). a couple of tablespoons of lime juice. a tablespoon or so of chili powder. green onion, finely diced. cilantro. a couple of tablespoons of mayo. salt and pepper.
I used rotisserie chicken shredded up with a tiny bit of cheese and put it on a whole wheat tortilla and warmed it in the microwave for less than 30 seconds. Add some spinach leaves to the wrap and top with the slaw and a slice or two of avocado and wrap it up. YUMMMM!!!

1 comment:

  1. yum. I think that I will have to try this! I have had jicama at restaurants, but never at home... hum.

    ReplyDelete