Friday, February 25, 2011

Non-craft post - CSA

I'm so excited!  I have talked Chris into joining a CSA this summer. We are going to buy a half share from Visser Farms.  I bought a 'box' from there today so that I could see how it would work and so that I could talk to them.  Here is a peek at what we received today and I can't wait for the weather to get nice and we can start enjoying all of our great produce!  Why am I going this route?  Why don't I just buy what we need either at the store or the local farmers market?  There are a couple of reasons...
  • I love veggies and want to try some that I normally wouldn't justify buying.
  • We really want to be better about eating at home.  I think that by having the produce at home, I'll feel like I 'need' to use it and it will be an incentive to cook.
  • I hope to create excitement for the girls about healthy food by exposing them to the farm and hopefully they will be excited to see what we will have each week in our box!
I really think that I should have been a farmer... I love this stuff!

2 comments:

  1. TOTALLY cool!!!! Do you get to pick your own veggies or do they put a box together for you? I just made a new facebook "friend" (someone i graduated with) and she posts her dinners on her wall. I think all of her posts use fresh ingredients and lots of veggies and cool ideas!! Look her up, her name is Erin (Ophoff) Gant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to forward you the recipe for Kole's "cupcakes". The main ingredient is carrots believe it or not! Made with whole wheat flour. Healthy and delish!! In fact I might just post it...Or link it...

    ReplyDelete